Skip to main content

Scythe by Neal Shusterman

28954189Scythe by Neal Shusterman
Pages: 435
Published Date: November 22nd, 2016
Genre: YA Sci-fi/ Dystopia
Series: Arc of a Scythe

SYNOPSIS
A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery. Humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now scythes are the only ones who can end life—and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.

Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe—a role that neither wants. These teens must master the “art” of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own.


I don't know what my life was like before this book. I forget how I lived before this book was devoured by me. Scythe by Neal Shusterman is a Sci-fi dystopian novel - two things I am usually not a fan of. But this book was so intricately written and I cannot get enough of it. 

I had 'read', rather listened to it on audio-book through Audible.com (not sponsored because let's be real, who reads my reviews anyway?) and I guess I really loved the narrator and that also added to the fact that I enjoyed this book way too much. 

Image result for jumanji rock running gifThis book follows around Citra and Rowan who end up being Scythe apprentices which they do not expect to ever happen and this fact changes their lives. Now, they have the power to kill people, possibly the ones that they dislike even. In this world, we are in the future, where there are no longer any diseases, or problems. Everyone is rich and immortal. The only way one can permanently die and stay that way is through a Scythe. These people are like the priests of this day and age, where they are revered but in this case, people are also terrified of them. Because whenever a scythe is around, there is a good chance someone is about to die, and people run away from that possibility. 

One thing that was mentioned in this book was the idea of people from the mortal age (that is, us) must have lived in constant fear of death; quite honestly, everyone lives on the edge in our world. People jump from planes! Like, they put their lives on the line and do not give a crap. We live in a world knowing that we are going to die one day and have made our peace with it. Whereas, in this world, everyone is in constant fear of  death by a scythe that they have to think about it frequently. 

The characters, especially Rowan is someone I will stand by, I love that kid. Citra was a little pretentious and full of herself, but I still liked her. The romance that was kindling between these characters though, I could have done without, as I did not think it was necessary in this story. 

Overall, it was a well-written world because of the uniqueness of it, I have not read a story as such before and I could not stop listening to it. 
Ansu ^_^

Comments