Skip to main content

Review ~ An Ember in the Ashes

27774758An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
Pages: 446
Published Date: February 9th, 2016
Genre: YA Fantasy
Series: Yes, book 1 of An Ember in the Ashes 

Uff. Where can I start with this one. It was a hunk of a novel with 2 perspectives. One is of Laia - Who seems to be a very weak girl who doubts herself at any given second and the other is of Elias- who is a Mask. Masks are trained fighters for the Empire, who are ruthless. They do not care about other people in most cases and lets anything slide that involves cold-blooded murder. There is a lot of action, adventure, mild romance, and a feel of a dystopian land.

I think this was one of the most well-written and exciting novel I have read in a really long time. I think it stands up there with Harry Potter in my heart.

Laia is a character that is portrayed as super weak and I think  if I were in her shoes, I would possibly be much worse than her after losing all of my family. The torture and trouble that she had to go through to help the only living member in her family was just commendable.

Image result for heart eyes gifElias is someone I genuinely loved for some odd reason. He was the only one who seemed to care about other people when everyone surrounding him just wants to kill everyone. His characteristics was something I actually liked.

Keenan seemed like a guy who had a terrible past and is nice, but I cannot trust him with my whole heart. I feel like he would betray Laia or someone else, or it could just be the vibe that I got out of him.

I honestly thought that Helene was kind of a bitch, she had her qualities but the system broke her heart, she really didn't seem to care about the Scholars or anyone else outside of the school.

The Chef was a mysterious character that I just couldn't pinpoint a fact to why she was special. I think she has a dark past with the revolution, especially with Laia's mother or another thing that I thought of was that maybe the Chef liked Laia's dad, and he got married which also led her to hate the mother much more. I guess we'll get our most awaited questions answered soon enough.
Image result for heart eyes gif
The grand escape is something I look forward to, I would like to see how that plays out for them. Will they all survive

I thoroughly every minute of this book and devoured it in maybe 2-3 days, which is quite amazing for me as I can't seem to focus on one specific thing at the moment. But this was absolutely stunning!


Overall, a fantastic book and I cannot wait to read the rest of the series.
Xoxo, Ansu.

Comments