Skip to main content

Review ~ Scarlet

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Pages: 464
Published Date: February 5th, 2013
Genre: YA sci-fi/ fantasy
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #2

Getting a head start into this series just made me super glad.While it didn't feel like it was better than the first one, I did enjoy it.

This story is a re-telling of The Little Red Riding Hood.
Our very enthralling Cinder is trying to escape prison; and if she succeeds in doing so, she will be the most wanted criminal of both the Commonwealth and Luna.
Halfway around the world, we have a redhead by the name of Scarlet who seems to think that her grandmother was abducted. She encounters a street-fighter by the name of Wolf and they travel to unravel a mystery! On this mysterious trip, they meet with Cinder, and now they have to work together.

***

I personally found that Scarlet was really lacking. Either she was solely focused on losing her grandmother, or Wolf and she seemed quite characterless because of this. I was hoping there would be more world-building in this novel, but I was still looking for parts where Meyer would talk about how WW3 occurred and how these people were left to survive. 
Now moving those things aside, the story is obvious by the names of the characters and knowing what The Little Red Riding Hood was about. There are 'mysteries' in this novel, which weren't really hard to get. 

Moving on to the part where Cinder shows up, trying to break out of prison. She literally falls into the prison cell of a Carswell Thorne (who I just decided to sell my soul to). Carswell is a criminal from many different countries and Cinder and Thorne obviously work together to get out of the prison which had many funny and thrilling moments in of itself.

Image result for heart eyes gifEven though after being done with this one, I was slightly disappointed, I enjoyed the parts where Cinder and Thorne showed up as I really loved these characters. Thorne is such a witty guy that you cannot help but fall head over heels for the guy. Their adventures got to me and I couldn't keep the book down at those times. But when the switch was made to the POV of Scarlet and Wolf, I sadly just wanted to skip the pages at those times.

To me, it was an okay read, I still think that this series has so much more potential and will definitely finish it. This book and its characters weren't much for me. I could have done without them for now. Maybe my opinion will change in the future, but right now, Scarlet and Wolf are not that great.

Overall, just mediocre, but I still think this series will be great.
Xoxo, Ansu.

Comments