Skip to main content

Review ~ Falling Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
Pages: 412
Published Date: December 11th, 2012
Genre: YA Fantasy
Series: Book 1 of the Falling Kingdoms series

After years of hearing great things about this series I finally decided to give it a shot and read it.  I'll tell you this much, don't believe the hype, sometimes it's just not worth it.
I was not the biggest fan of this book, I am not too sure if it will get better in the future, but right now it just left so much for me to not like about it.

There are 3 regions - Auranos - a beautiful, rich and peaceful land, Limeros - snowy, beautiful but is ruled by the King of Blood, and finally Palesia - an extremely poor region that is ruled over by someone who is living in riches.

When I started there was some depth to the novel but it wasn't enough to help me reach that high level that various other books had left me to. I understand this is just the first book and requires some world building, but still, there were other books that stole my breath away with just that first book.

In this book, I barely fell in love with any of the characters and the only people I could stand reading about were Magnus and Nic. Even the main character, Cleo  who was supposed to blow me away, was just meh. I found her to be quite a brat and a person who seemed to get everything done in one way, or go the high way. Her love interest in the novel was just so sudden. There is no way a person could just fall in love like that; she could have just thought of herself being in love with the person just because her sister, Emilia, went through a similar situation. I just found it to be annoying and not cute.

Image result for what gifsThe love interests of this novel were questionable because the first love interest that is pretty evident to us is that of Magnus' feelings towards his sister. I was really disturbed by this, I could get it if they knew that they weren't related to each other at all. But the both of them thought from their childhood that they were in fact related and I found this to be really gross (?)
Image result for what gifs
The ruthless King of Blood is like no other. Why he wasn't assassinated years ago, I will never understand. He is a despicable character who decides to just end everyone's life when they least deserve it. He kills witches but he has a person in his custody who is a flipping sorceress. Hypocrisy at its finest.

The writing aspect of this story was fine, not perfect, which hopefully will get better as the books keep progressing.

Overall, not very impressed but I will continue on with the series because I got book 2 and 3 already. 
Xoxo, Ansu.

Comments