Skip to main content

Bookish Monday ~ Cinder

11235712
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Pages: 400
Published Date: January 3, 2012 (Yes, I am late to the party, hush up!)
Genre: Sci-fi, Fantasy
Series: Yes, The Lunar Chronicles (book 1)



I have never read a sci-fi before and man am I glad I got to doing that now!

Cinder is about a young girl who is a part human - part cyborg, who cannot seem to remember her life before she was 11. Whether it is in where she was born or her real family. She is adopted and brought to China and has a step family ever since she turned 11. She has 2 step-sisters, one of which is really happy to have her there and the other who seems to be upset about this situation. The step-mother is really not fond of the fact that her husband brought forth a random girl from one of his travels and has many questions which have been left unanswered.
While she works at her workshop in the present day she meets the Prince of the region who everyone seems to be fascinated by and she too is hooked once she sees him in real life. The story goes south through the many accusations that are put on Cinder and the many uncovering of secrets that are earth shattering and life-changing for our beloved Cinder.

I am so thrilled I read this book. I know it is has been a long long time since this was published but let's not talk about that. This entire world is in the future even after when WWIII surpasses (let's just hope that never happens). There is a whole new world on the moon for generations and there are people with and without powers on the moon which is fascinating.

Okay, so let's just state a fact here that I mentioned earlier. This is my first ever sci-fi read, so don't blame me if you think this not the perfect example of a sci-fi. I have always wanted to get into The Lord of the Rings series, but had failed.

I enjoyed the characters that were introduced - especially Iko. It/she seems like such a loyal android that would always stick by Cinder and probably could help save her life one day.

The creation of Lunars and how terrible they are really astounded me. I wonder if there is going to be stuff like that in the future! Lunars are just normal human-like entities, but they live on the moon. Many of them have special powers that can help them control people. There are different stages of this entity and the ones that have no special powers are taken away and killed.

Anywho, I loved this book and I know that there are obviously people out there who probably did not like this one. But bah! This is awesome!

Overall, I am glad I picked this up finally!
Ansu/BookNerdSue
Xoxo

Comments