Skip to main content

Bookish Monday ~ Me Before You



Author: Jojo Moyes
Pages: 369
Published Date: December 31st, 2012
Genre: Romantic Drama, Realistic fiction
Series: Yes, duology - first book
Price: Paperback - $17.99
Hardcover - $36.99

This heartbreaking story revolves around Lou Clark who thought that her life was all sorted out until she lost her job She goes to the Job Center and finds a job for herself. Will Traynor knew that the motorbike incident changed his entire life. He is wheelchair-bound and is a quadriplegic. He does not think he can live his life knowing that he used to be a very active person. The struggles that both Lou and Will has to go through are portrayed in this book. 

Ugh. Ugh. There is a freaking log inside my eye! This was just too much. Let's just say, did you cry with The Fault in Our Stars? Trust me babe you need waaay more tissues for this one!
I have to be honest I kind of saw what the ending would be like, but did that stop me from bawling my  eyes out? Pfft no.

Lou is a chatty woman who is about 26 years old, and is a very lovable character. I thoroughly enjoyed her character. She is so selfless and this can be seen in so many occasions of her going to a job she finds difficult to handle. 

Will who seems to be really rude I think in actuality is a sweetheart but obviously his situation made him super depressed. (I am not going to say much in case I will spoil it for you).

Patrick who is Lou;s boyfriend is someone I genuinely disliked. He never really tried to spend time with Lou and it felt like he was body-shaming her in many situations.When you love a person that dearly I would expect you to be loving and caring of every aspect of the other person, The fact that he could't trust Lou is understandable but I felt like he overreacted too quickly without knowing the truth.

Treena - Lou's sister, has a baby boy I think around 2-3 years old. She is quite supportive but at the same time is kind of annoying and a little selfish. I never really loved her character through the book. She seemed to be concerned about her studies and not much about the family when she asked Lou to stay with her job
.

I have been putting this book off for ages because I knew it would crush my soul AND IT DID!
But while reading it when I realized what Will wanted to do to himself I was in shock and honestly disagreed completely with him and thought it was immoral. But when I really thought about what he did, honestly I get it. The people who don't go through the same situation as the victims will never understand the emotions and pain the victims are going through. I don't know many people who are going through something like this but I have an uncle who is paralyzed and cannot talk, I feel like when you are in that situation and you could have a say in it, I would probably do what Will did. And maybe it isn't really that selfish. 
There are so many powerful messages embedded into this book - to find a purpose, follow your passions and get out of your comfort zone. This story does give a value to life and that we should all be thankful for what we have and how lucky we all are. Look around you, you live in a world where terrible things still happen and many, MANY of us are safe and sound. I think that is a huge blessing and we should all be thankful for it.
Everything is precious, every person, every minute, every book you read even, Everything has a meaning and I hope you find the purpose of your life as well.


Overall, be grateful for what you have and read this book.
Ansu/BookNerdSue
Xoxo

Comments